One Step Forward...

Do you remember that old song? I think it was a country song, but I don’t remember for sure. One step forward and two steps back...I honestly couldn’t tell you another word from the song, but I can tell you that the phrase has certainly stuck with me.

It seems to be such a fitting line for life.  Just when you feel like you are making progress, whether it be financial, with your children, with your personal goals...there always seems to be that “two steps back” just waiting around the corner!  I have been thinking about that and wondering if what seems like two steps back is really something different?

I mean, think about it...whenever something happens that goes against “our plan” or the way things were supposed to work out in our mind, we consider it to be a step back...but what if it is simply part of the plan? What if it is simply a re-direction? The only way that God could grab our attention?

Let’s face it, we plan for almost everything in life.  As a Christ-follower we are careful to throw the “Lord-Willing” into it, but truth be told...we want the Lord to be willing to do it exactly how WE want it to be!   I am fumbling to think of some good examples that are not too specific or pointed, but I will try!

We can look at our career.  Most people that have a career, also have a career path...meaning they aren’t just sitting idley by, enjoying their career.  They have a plan for the next step, the next promotion, the bigger the better...and when something prevents them from getting the promotion they were due...it’s “two steps back”...  Finances is another good one.  Especially with the economy the way it is today, everyone is really thinking through their financial plans.  Paying down debt, trying to tighten the budget, saving for retirement, for college...and then something happens that changes the plan...”two steps back.”

Let’s look at it from the other angle now...”two steps in a new direction...” So many times hind sight is 20/20...so cliche I know, but it is true.  What if things hadn’t happened the way they did?  Sometimes in life we need a shock to our system, a jolt that reminds us that:

...I am not in control

...I have become complacent

...God has something better for me than this

...I am going the WRONG way...turn around, go back, warning...

The list could go on and on..what would your list say? No, really, sit and think about it...

I find myself questioning my every move some days.  And I have to remind myself that God is in control and He knows the end to my story.  He cares about every minute detail...When I feel like I have gone out on a limb and it didn’t turn out like I thought it would, it doesn’t mean that it didn’t turn out like God knew it would.  He knows what is happening under the surface, the things we can’t see, hear or even begin to comprehend.

Look back over your life and find those “two steps back” moments.  Where have they re-directed you?

Have you grown better from them..or bitter from them?

Last, but not least...the song I mentioned at the beginning...it’s by The Desert Rose Band...and, oh my, that is some song!! :0)

Thanks for stopping by!

Crazy Mom, Crazy Wife, Crazy Life

Wendy Jo

Comments

Popular Posts